Share this on

Are today’s one-size-fits-all annual employee engagement surveys truly effective in measuring and managing employee engagement in our open source era?

Annual employee engagement surveys remain the main vehicle for measuring and managing employee engagement in large organisations. But are these one-size-fits-all annual surveys truly effective? This process actually disregards the reality of the Pareto Principle and the bell curve rule whereby the voice of the top performing 20% gets drowned under the weight of the remaining 80%.

Not every employee performs at the same level because their motivation levels are varied due to different interests and priorities in life. Averaging the results does not accurately reflect the performance nor needs of each segment of employees. Instead, it ends up promoting mediocrity rather than driving excellence.

Employee engagement has unfortunately become a spreadsheet, check-the-box exercise. In today’s free economy, organisations need to measure and address the needs of all employee segments distinctly. By segmenting employee engagement surveys, the different needs of employees are better understood from the results. The voice of the top 20% exceptional performers is not diluted while at the same time the needs of the remaining 80%, the bulk of the organisation, are also better addressed. Understanding the needs and desires of all segments of the performance bell curve is key in the new empowered open source age, where a one-size-fits-all way of working is undoubtedly far less effective.

These perspectives and insights were extracted from concepts in the upcoming new book, Open Source Leadership: Reinventing Management When There’s No Business As Usual, written by our CEO Rajeev Peshawaria.



Lalit Gupta

Lalit Gupta, Chief Marketing Officer

I’m excited to announce the launch of this new book containing much-awaited new thinking such as the above, designed to challenge long-established leadership and management practices with groundbreaking ideas relevant to the age we now live in. Open Source Leadership by Rajeev Peshawaria is launching in October – don’t miss it!